UTHM Institutional Repository

Phase scintillations at the polar ionosphere

Homam, Mariyam Jamilah and Warrington, E.M. and Stocker, A.J. (2013) Phase scintillations at the polar ionosphere. In: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Space Science & Communication (IconSpace), 1-3 July 2013, Melaka, Malaysia.

[img]
Preview
PDF
Phase_Scintillations_at_the_Polar_Ionosphere.pdf

Download (768kB)

Abstract

A dual-frequency GPS Ionospheric Scintillation and TEC Monitor (GISTM) receiver, GSV4004B, has been installed at Alert, Canada (82.48° N, 297.75° E, corresponding to 86.95° N, 155.77° E geomagnetic coordinate) since May 2008 to study the ionospheric variability at a high-latitude location. This GISTM receiver is able to measure the Total Electron Content (TEC), and both the amplitude and phase scintillations. This study focuses on the phase scintillation observed over Alert for 26- month period from June 2008 until July 2010 where it was mostly during the minimum state of solar activity. It is found that at least 93% of the phase scintillations, σφ of the observed data were in the range of 0-0.1 rad. The remaining 7% varied from 0.1 to 0.7 rad, where it mostly never exceeded 0.2 rad. σφ < 0.15 is considered as insignificant. Phase scintillations were found to be increased with the increasing of solar activity where most of the cases of σφ > 0.15 rad were detected in 2010.

Item Type: Conference or Workshop Item (Paper)
Uncontrolled Keywords: ionospheric propagation; phase scintillation; polar ionosphere
Subjects: Q Science > QC Physics
T Technology > TK Electrical engineering. Electronics Nuclear engineering > TK7800-8360 Electronics
Divisions: Faculty of Electrical and Electronic Engineering > Department of Communication Engineering
Depositing User: Normajihan Abd. Rahman
Date Deposited: 29 Aug 2013 08:30
Last Modified: 21 Jan 2015 07:49
URI: http://eprints.uthm.edu.my/id/eprint/4140
Statistic Details: View Download Statistic

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year